Tuesday, November 23, 2010

HANGIN IN

November 2010

So I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, although for the life of me I can't figure out why some things have to happen the way they do. I guess it's not my place to question.

Yesterday as many of you know, John was in a horrific tragic accident. Although we find some comfort in knowing there was nothing he could have done to avoid the accident, we are still traumatized and sorrowful. And what can we do to change this? Absolutely nothing. We can pray, and that's what's getting us through this.

..well, that and our family and friends...

I realized yesterday more than ever that our family and friends are more supportive than I ever could have dreamed.

When John called me I was finishing lunch at work. Before I was even off of the phone with him, Dolores was taking care of business at work and Robin had her keys in her hand and was shoving me out the door to drive me to where John was. They really didn't even know what had happened yet, except that there had been an accident. And let me tell you, when I said I was "ok" to drive myself, they totally ignored me. Yep, just totally ignored me like I never even said it. Robin just walked with me to her car and said "get in the car". Sometimes I guess other people know more about what we need than we do.

When I got to the accident, as you expect, John was shaken up. Several of the witnesses, the firemen, EMT's, and police officers came over and re-assured him that there was nothing he could have done to avoid the accident. Everyone was great and very concerned about how he was. The first thing he told me when I got there was that someone I went to high school with, Mike Burke, was one of the first firemen on the scene and that he came over to talk with John. Mike was calm and re-assuring and kept checking on John, and on me, along with the police officers at the scene. I think having Mike there gave us a kind of comfort in some way that I just can't explain.

Somewhere in my brain I thought "oops, I better call my boss and tell her I left work"... so I called Kathy. Now let me tell you, Kathy Cook is always my voice of reason, especially in crisis situations. Kathy was awesome, as usual, putting things in perspective for me and talking to me until I could calm down.

Word travels quickly, especially at VTC. I received dozens of text messages and phone calls from co-workers. Dee called Crystal, who called her husband William, and the next thing I know, Will Smith (yep, thats his name!) who is a preacher and a friend of ours, was on the way to our house. I thank God that Crystal and Dee made that happen for us. William came and counseled with John and the family and really helped us, prayed for us, and let us know it's ok to feel what we are feeling.
Tanya texted me to see if she needed to get Drew from school. Kathy called a few times just to check in.

Even though Tanya asked me about Drew, I told her we could pick Drew up from school, but I totally forgot about Drew with all the stuff happening. Big oops. We were outside and the tow-truck had just dropped off the truck at our house and I turned around and there was Drew standing there looking concerned saying "what happened?". I was like "Oh crap! Drew! I forgot about Drew!" After Drew heard what happened, he just walked over to John and gave him a hug. I lost it and started crying.

And then our family and friends started a rally of prayers and support. My mom and dad, as usual, sailed through with a check to cover our insurance deductible plus all the other money they gave us just to help us out. I bawled like a baby...really I did... Auntie Eileen sat and cried with me....and then Julie walked in and handed us a key to her truck. Just like that. More crying. And so many other people called and asked if they could bring over food or help us in any other way we need. Bonnie and Ralph in Indiana gave me advice about my insurance and told me what I needed to do. My ex husband John gave us support and even called back later to check on John (the ex likes John more than he likes me, go figure).

Even this morning, the love, support, and prayers are rolling in. I feel so blessed to have such great people in my life and have such support for John during this difficult time. You all have helped more than you will ever know. We are truly blessed.

So I'm on my way to work in a few minutes, and Stefanie still didn't go into labor. I think she is gonna wait until we all sit down for Thanksgiving dinner and then her water will break. I'll keep ya posted.


UPDATE:   John was so relieved when the police report came in and he was 100% NOT at fault for anything. Of course he knew this but it was nice to see it in writing. 

Stefanie gave birth to Lily on Thanksgiving Day... of course....  I told you she would wait till Thanksgiving....

3 comments:

  1. Lori, I had no idea! Peace, blessings and healing for John and your family!

    Love,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got off the phone with you... I had no idea...I'm soooo sorry!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you,John and the family...If you need anything or just want to talk, give me a call....

    ~Deanna Banks~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori
    Hope you and your Family make it through this with strength and courage.

    ReplyDelete